Monday, September 11, 2006

My Tribute for Lawrence Veling, a 9/11 hero


Today marks the 5 year anniversary of one of the most tragic days in American history. Exactly 5 years ago on this day, the World Trade Center Towers were struck by planes hijacked by terrorist forces. Taking with them exactly 2,996 victims of people trapped inside the building and rescue workers on the ground trying to save others, even if it meant their lives. This fateful day brought out the best of people all over the nation. People helping other people just because it was the right thing to do. Some rescue workers went so far as to die at ground zero to try and save just one more. Just one more dad, mother, brother, or sister they had to save. Driven by courage these workers ran into the falling buildings foregoing the fact that some of them will never step outside of them again.

Lawrence Veling was a 44 year old man who lived in New York City. He was apart of the New York Fire Department working on Engine Number 235. I am sure that he was a great fire fighter and he proved on that fateful day that he would be there to save someone. He had 3 children and a wife named Diane before his death. The weekend before the 9/11 events occurred he had almost moved away from his home. Maureen LaPorte wrote...
...The last time I spoke to Larry was when I ran into him the weekend before Sept. 11th. He was telling me how instead of moving out of the neighborhood, which he had mentioned to me once before he might want to do, him and his wife Diane were re-doing a house and staying in the Beach...the last thing I said to him before I got in my car was, "Well Larry, I'm glad you're staying"...
Lawrence will not be forgotten, and neither will the other 2,995 victims of that fateful day. I will also post other comments I found on a few memorial pages as more tribute to this great man at the end of this post.

So, what if it was you on that fateful day and you were faced with the opportunity to save others, even if it meant losing your own life to the tragedy? Would you have the courage to stand up and do what is right? I know Lawrence did, and we should all strive to be more like Lawrence. We should be kinder and more courageous when faced with danger and death. We must help achieve a better tomorrow, today! So please, all I ask to anyone who reads this or other posts of the 9/11 blogger project, to take 10 minutes out of your day today and reflect on the events from 5 years ago...

Comments on Lawrence Veling from September11victims.com...
Whitey Whitehouse on 12/31/2001 12:46:34 AM wrote...

I knew Larry from playing softball with him for the Log Cabin in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. We also shared a few cocktails together in the same bar and others in the same neighborhood. He was a great guy and will be sorely missed by me. I had retired from Verizon and moved out to Las Vegas on Aug 31, so i was'nt around to hear of his death until recently. I could'nt believe it. Tragedy's like this really don't hit home until you know someone involved.
May God bless him, his wife and kids.


Maureen LaPorte on 09/12/2002 4:06:01 PM wrote...

I knew Larry for many years in Gerritsen Beach...I was sorry when he sold the deli he owned with his partner, because I didn't see him as often. He was always good for a laugh, with that gravely voice, and always asked about my son and how he was doing. The last time I spoke to Larry was when I ran into him the weekend before Sept. 11th. He was telling me how instead of moving out of the neighborhood, which he had mentioned to me once before he might want to do, him and his wife Diane were re-doing a house and staying in the Beach...the last thing I said to him before I got in my car was, "Well Larry, I'm glad you're staying"...I think of his wife Diane often, and his three children as well - if it was so heartbreaking for me, I can't even imagine what they feel...God Bless his entire family.


Sharon Veling on 11/10/2003 9:56:27 PM wrote...

In this vast beautiful land of Australia,all the Velings with this particular spelling are directly related,so to read of Larry's passing was devastatingly touching to all of my family.I would like his wife and children to know that they are in our prayers.God Bless You,all.


Annelise Tungvaag-McAuley on 08/31/2004 4:55:54 AM wrote...

I was the little sister of Linda who dated Larry many years before he met his soulmate in Diane. My memories consist of the generous,kindhearted,gentle giant(to a 6 year old ) who always showed up at the house with cherry-vanilla ice cream and whom I think I saw my first Rocky movie with.(of course I absolutely loved to tag-along whenever I could)
Long afterwards,I would see Larry in the deli with my huge pregnant belly and in his memorable voice he would comment in disbelief that the little girl he once knew actually was about to be a mother herself.
I can see he and my sister in cave-people costumes for a Halloween party and I want to grasp onto that image--that silly,fun image because to me that is what he embodied. I love you,Larry,and you of all people could never be forgotten. Thank You for the giving of yourself while on this earth.


Kurt Brown on 05/31/2005 8:39:18 PM wrote...

I did not know Larry but I wanted to past on something to his family. On 05/28/05, I was hiking in Tourne Park in Booton, N.J. when I came upon a small memorial at the top of a trail that was dedicated "In Loving Memory and Honor of the Victims and Heroes of 09-11-01" by the Copeland Middle School in Rockaway, N.J. on 10/21/04. Out of the corner of my eye, away from this memorial, were two small american flags and a picture of Larry nailed onto a wooden stake that was pounded into the ground. I snaped a photo of this setting and have submitted it to the webmaster of this site in hopes that he will include it on this page and share it with Larry's family. Larry was truly one of those Heroes. My thoughts and prayers go out to Larry's family.



-Urda